Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Answer...

I was sitting in the doctor's office, and he was standing in front of me with my chart in his hand.

"Why are you here today?" he asked. I was so confused... didn't he JUST see me four days ago?

"You sent me for lab tests and I'm here for the results" I answered. Of course he wasn't going to remember EVERY patient, especially a new one.

"Oh right," he said, reading carefully. And then he smiled, took off his glasses and continued "I'm sure glad I decided to wait by the test. Results are positive. You're pregnant."

I started crying. I sat in his chair weaping with happiness. He was confused now, and asked if they were happy or sad tears, and I said that they were happy... I'm just very emotional lately. And I couldn't stop. And then he started tearing up watching me. It was a funny, endearing moment. We chatted a while, and then he wrote up some new tests to send me to the lab with. He said I was VERY early in pregnancy, and to not shout it from the rooftops yet. He also suggested to stay away from certain foods, and only eat whole foods and exercise regularly since I'm carrying extra weight right now anyways.

Off I went to a family birthday party where I couldn't say anything, even to my darling husband. I went on with the night, silent, hoping I wasn't acting strange. And when we got home, the time just didn't feel right either, especially when he announced he had to go to the bathroom and spent 20 minutes holed up in there. Additionally, he went through SO much trouble in arranging his proposal for me that I wanted to make this special for him. I felt like he was just as invested in this as I was, and I wanted to tell him at the right moment.

Saturday morning he had an appointment to get the truck serviced. I took the opportunity to quickly clean the house, and then I set up my surprise.

The camera was set on the fireplace mantel set to record. When he walked in the door just before 10am, I was standing on our stairs waiting, camera rolling. He put his stuff on the side table and turned to look at me, not noticing the surprise hanging on the coat hanger at the door.



I had hung a superman onesie and a picture of my belly on our coat rack, so when I pointed to it, and he turned to look, he let out an expletive "No $%*#@!# Way!" I nodded and started crying, and we held on to each other for a long time. He took off his glasses, set them down, and wiped his eyes. "I'm going to be a dad. Wow!" was pretty much all he could say. It was a darling moment, and just as I'd hoped.

And then we went about the rest of our day, including a bbq at friend's for lunch, some shopping at the mall, a nap... and then tried out a new pub later that night to celebrate. And Sunday was more of the same - errands and cleaning and organizing. Just like most weekends. And we had to hold on to this very important secret for at least another week.

How did we tell our parents? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment