Friday, June 28, 2013

Some things to consider...

I am the Q.U.E.E.N. of the spreadsheet. I spreadsheet all of our expenses, parties, shopping lists, etc. I love them. They keep me on track and organized. So when Aaron and I started talking about having a baby, I took to my current budget spreadsheet, figured out roughly what our new income would be, where we could cut expenses, where new expenses would come in, etc.



What I didn't realize was how much over-and-above costs we would incur leading up to the big day. So for all the future moms out there, here is a brief overview...

1. We found out that when we go to see our OB Clinic, the initial cost upfront is $35. I'm not sure why, but that's what I'm dishing out. 

2. Prenatal classes range in price, but the average is $175. This comes out of your pocket, and you will never see this again!

3. Diapers are expensive. They cost about $25 per package, and you will use about $100 worth a month - at least! For poop!

4. Eventual daycare will set us back anywhere from $600 - $1200 per month. Yes, that is a lot of money for someone else to spend time with my child. I'm still not sure how I'm going to do this. I can't imagine my child being raised by someone else, and me paying them to do so.

5. Cribs, strollers, car seats, monitors, bouncy chairs, high chairs, playpens, bottles, toys, clothes, bath supplies, diaper supplies... these are HUGE expenses. Get everything from friends and family if you can. Invest in new mattresses and anything that poses a sanitary risk, but other than that, accept the hand-me-downs if you are offered them!

6. Maternity clothes are necessary. You will start to show around 12 - 16 weeks. That leaves another 20 weeks of trying to go to work every day in clothes without cutting off your circulation. You will need new clothes that stretch and grow with you, and a lot of companies will gauge you with the cost of them because it's a necessity, not a splurge. Accept donations for these as well, or go to a nice maternity consignment store. Don't invest in nice pieces - you never know when or if you might need them again.

7. Medical care in Canada is a great system, but when you go on maternity leave, your health care will be cut off for the year that you're off. Be prepared to either enroll in your partner's medical plan or start saving to pay through the nose for independent insurance.

8. Prepare, prepare, prepare. If you're anything like me, the preparation of baby costs a lot of money. I want to clean the carpets, get my car serviced, baby proof the house, maybe look into a molly maid service while we're at the hospital so the house is spotless when we get home, prepare some freezer meals in advance so I don't have to cook when I get back from the hospital, make sure everything is safe for the baby and me. This all costs some money upfront.

9. There will be a lot of unforeseen expenses at the hospital as well like circumcision for boys and a cost for the room. Our healthcare is good, but not everything is free.

10. Date nights. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I realized that our lives were forever changed. I always knew that I didn't want to become one of those couples that becomes all about baby and forgets about each other. So the night I told my husband, I decided that no matter what, we were going out on a date. Every month, we're going to drop baby off at one of the 3 grandparents house and treat ourselves out for a date night. I think this is just as important as spending time with our baby... reconnecting with your partner so you can be better parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment