Friday, June 28, 2013

Mat Leave

I was excited to tell our family and friends the good news, but I was nervous to tell my work. I've been with the company since I was a spry young 20-year-old, and now I was a 33-year-old mom-to-be. I'd grown up with this company, and they had become like family.

A good friend at work was retiring yesterday after 38 years with the company. He'd announced his retirement in May, and we'd planned a lunch for him at the office. The same day, the owners were having a management meeting, so I thought it would be the best decision to tell my boss so they could make any changes they needed to make pending my departure.

I'd fretted about what to say, how to say it, when to say it. I decided to do it like a band-aid, and just let it rip. "Richard, I'm pregnant!" Easy, peasy! He was thrilled, and I was happy that he was so excited! It's been a very long time since anyone at this small company had a child, especially a woman. I think the youngest one is my other boss's 7-year-old. He said that we'd announce it to the staff later in the day, as I'd wanted to let the retiree leave and have his moment to shine.

After everyone gathered together for a pep-talk, Richard asked me to let everyone know the good news. I patted my tummy and said that as one member of our family departed, a new member was on it's way. The staff was happy, but then we quickly moved on to the topics at hand. Anti-climactic.

A few people came up to my desk later to congratulate me. My manager, who I'd told after Richard, said that she was excited, and that they'd hire a replacement on contract while I take my year off. Richard said that we'd make some changes. And everyone said that they'd do what they could to help. I'm so glad that the secret is out. Being evasive is so difficult for someone like me who is an open book and transparent with her own happiness and sadness. This was something I wanted to share with the people I spend 160 hours with a month. That's more than I see my own husband.

Now... I still have to tell my aunts and cousins! Oh boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment