Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Are you carrying twins in there?

The wonderful blog What Jay Has to Say recently had a post about what it is like to have people comment on the size that you are during pregnancy. She was a pretty small girl pre-pregnancy, but has had weight-gain as one of her symptoms, and having people comment on it isn't making life any better for her. Someone even asked her if she was sure she wasn't having twins. Can you believe that?

So far, because I'm so early in my pregnancy, no one has had the ability to make rude remarks, with the exception of my mom who said in front of my husband and brother "You look a lot further than 9 weeks!" She defends her remark by saying that the maternity shirt I was sporting made me look bigger, but the comment hurt.

People think that it's okay to rub your belly, give their opinion on finding out the gender, make suggestions constantly on your care, and comment on "how big you are getting" when none of those things would be okay in day-to-day non-pregnant life.

I recently had a conversation with our mailman who's wife is about 6 1/2 months pregnant, and he said that she was quite thin before but is significantly larger now. He said it hesitantly (as if his wife would strike him dead on the spot for saying it out loud to a stranger), but he said that she's so uncomfortable and feeling self-conscious about the difference in her body. I guess it's a normal reaction.

I'm excited to see Peanut grow. I'm excited to rub my full belly and feel her/him kick. I'm over-the-moon about all of the fun things that are going to happen. But I think that when I start showing and people start making it okay to poke fun at me... I won't be quite as casual about the whole thing!

2 comments:

  1. People can suck it :) In all honesty - I am LOVING my growing belly and I touch it all the time - can't stop. It is what it is. Now, if I was eating poutine all day long, I wouldn't be able to be loud and proud but I am not. I'm pregnant people, not fat. And like we say - we can lose the weight but they will still be ugly :) xo

    ReplyDelete