Thursday, January 19, 2012

My New Gym...

I joined a new gym just after New Year's. No, it wasn't a resolution. It was more a case of not wanting to die of second-hand smoke. You see, my old gym was located in the same building as a pub, and in order to get to the gym, you had to walk by the pub entrance. And what do older folk that enjoy a few drinks at 4:30 in the afternoon like to do between their beers or rum and cokes? Smoke. They enjoy their smokes. And in BC, you can't smoke indoors, so these patrons would take their habits to the outside entrance, and I would walk through a cloud of tobacco on my way to bettering my health. It seemed contridictory to me.

So I joined a new gym. It's new and spacious and beautiful and full of toned and buff people. It's someplace I never thought I'd be. I love how clean it is. I love how large it is. I love that it has a women's only section, and 108 cardio machines, all with their own tvs and Ipod hookups. I love that the people who work there honestly make me feel like they want me to succeed! I don't like myself sometimes when I find myself staring at a hard-bodied beautiful women in Lululemon pants, working out her perfect butt and toned arms, wishing and hoping that I looked like her instead of my giggly, wiggly, round self. But in general, I love my new surroundings and my routine after work. Do I want to trudge up there in the snow, taking off my boots and putting on capri pants, NO! But do I feel great afterwards - HECK YA!

Anyways, the point of this post isn't to smack you in the face with my holier-than-thou attitude of working out regularly, but to tell you that I met a girl at the gym (one of the customer service workers) who just got engaged and is planning her wedding on a shoe-string budget (get it, she works at a gym, with runners - never mind) and it got me thinking about what is important to some people when planning their wedding. Something in me just shifted a bit.

I had been obssessing over people not calling me back or not showing enough interest in my little wedding world... but talking to K got me thinking that this wedding isn't so much about everyone else - it's about what Aaron and I want... to spend the rest of our lives together. And I can't wait to marry him. Yes, the details are important, and yes, I won't give up trying to achieve the perfect wedding for us, but I just need to focus more on what Aaron and I have, and less what we want.

Now off to the gym I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment