Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Momma Dilemma

I was recently reading a blog on my favorite wedding blog, WeddingBee, and Miss. Mink spoke very honestly and openly about her disappointments regarding the involvement of her mother in the wedding-planning process, but how she had come to terms with it and was going to enjoy having her mother as a valued and important guest.

I've had a few small hiccups myself with my mom along the way, but all in all, I've been so happy with the participation she's had so far!

My mom and I have always been very close, and I've always had her be involved in a lot of my important life choices. However, we are very different people. I'm much more like my dad - strong-headed, opinionated, vocal, and determined. My mom is much more laid-back, a home-body, and reserved in a way. But at the same time, I was also lucky enough to get both of my parents work ethic and creative mind.

Spending time with my mom has been wonderful! She's come with me to my dress appointments, shopped for hours in Michael's with me, fought off eager brides at the wedding fair, and helped me with many projects. However, it hasn't been all roses and rainbows! Our different personalities have clashed, we've hurt each others feelings (although NEVER on purpose), and we've had differing opinions on some of the projects I've taken on. But as we go through this very special journey together, we've grown closer. And perhaps more importantly, she's grown closer to my fiance.

At the end of the day, I'm so lucky to have a mom that wants to be involved, makes every effort to be a support system for me, and always has my back in the end! Love you Mamma Deb!





No comments:

Post a Comment