Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Cost to Cover...

As much as I love our venue, their chairs leave something to be desired. It was probably the first thing that I noticed when I walked in. Is it because I'm a bride to be, and notice everything when it doesn't suit my vision? Is it because I'm a detail-oriented gal who focuses in on the small minute touches in a space? Or is it because they are glaringly in-your-face chairs that can't be camouflaged in any way, other than with a cover. Their chairs are not only old (but in good condition), but they are black with a strange grey and purple fabric pattern. It doesn't match our "Whistler Chic" teal and apple color scheme... at all, even a little bit!

So as much as I didn't want to, I began researching chair cover companies last January. Yes, I realize that I was way ahead of the game, but when you're on a tight budget and have a 2 year engagement, a girl has to do her research!

Out of the three or four companies that were recommended to us by the DAC, I found one company that had the color selection that we were looking for at a great deal! However, after our 365 day mark passed, I found that when I was trying to make an appointment with them, they were impossible to deal with. So I moved on.

The next company I was dealing with was wonderful, and I had high hopes. However, their price was more than double what our original company quoted, so my fingers had some more work to do! I have some emails out to people to quote on our covers, but I'm just so amazed when a quote arrives in my inbox priced out at over $5.00 per chair PLUS set up fees! I should really just buy some and rent them myself to people - I'd make a killing!

Anyways, is this price normal for a cover and sash?

My mom questioned whether it was worth our money to rent them... well, if you take a look at the chairs at the DAC, you can see that there's no getting around it when they could look like this photo... classic, chic, uniform, and beautiful! I have given up many details of the wedding due to budget restraints, but this is one area where I just can't force myself to budge, even though Aaron can't quite wrap his head around my obsession with all things covers and sashes!

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually in the same boat! Our chairs are definitely super standard, run-of-the-mill banquet hall chairs but when covered, they completely transform the entire room. However, as a fellow bride-on-a-budget, I also cannot justify $5.00 per chair for 200 guests. I try to make it work and I consistently study pictures both with and without and I think I'm just going to have to let the dream die. After all, at the end of the day. . .it's where your bum goes, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree, but our chairs just are NOT good and they take away from the room. Luckily we only have 100 guests - but I feel for you! Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete