Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Heartbeat that Changed Our Lives...

We had our first prenatal appointment yesterday at the OB clinic. It was long and detailed, and we went through a lot of our history and my current pregnancy symptoms. The nurse was great, and the interning doctor we were dealing with was thorough and reassuring.
 
The problem with any delivery these days is that you are NEVER guaranteed to have a doctor you've met before, and the same will go for mine. The doctor I'll deal with regularly at the clinic will only be delivering our baby if we give birth on a Monday. Otherwise, it could be any of their 7 doctors. But I'm okay with that.
 
While on the table getting examined, the doctor guided my hand to feel my uterus that was home to the baby. I was worried that I wasn't really showing yet, at least not in the way that has a pronounced hard belly. Feeling around my belly and having my fingers trace around Peanut's home was pretty amazing. Then he announced that we were going to listen to the heartbeat. Aaron and I both got very excited... we'd seen the heartbeat at 8 weeks, 4 days but never heard it. After roaming around my belly for at least 5 minutes (or what seemed like it) and hearing only my own blood flow, we finally heard it - the wonderful sound of the baby's heart beating around 130 per minute. It was strong and fast and healthy. We looked at each other, Aaron was smiling and I was fighting the urge to break out in tears. It was there... our baby was alive and well and it was all nothing short of miraculous and incredible.
 
After our appointment, we went to our go-to place White Spot for lunch to celebrate our healthy child with burgers for Aaron and zucchini sticks and a milkshake for me! :)

 

Everything is now happening! Every four weeks I'll go to the clinic and see the doctor for regular check-ups. Next week I'll get my next genetic screening. In 5 weeks we'll get our 20 week ultrasound and be able to see what our baby looks like now. At 26 weeks I'll get my diabetes test. In November we'll start our prenatal classes.

There's only 25 more weeks until the amazing new adventure truly begins, and I'm loving every minute of it, even the moments of extreme exhaustion, even the moments of severe anxiety, even the moments of heartburn and headaches and swollen feet. I love this because everything I've ever hoped for is happening right now - my husband, my baby, my home. This is it. This is life. This is MY life. This is my good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment