Friday, August 30, 2013

Camping with the Dam Fam...

We decided to head off to the back country for a camping trip with some of my family while we were on vacation. We borrowed my in-laws trailer, packed it up, and followed Ben and the family into Hope. My aunt and uncle had found a little logging road that had been dug out into a few little camping spots next to a river.
 
They hung up a sign so we could all find them...
 

We love our little set-up. Aaron sets up our awning, the tables, the bbq and stove, the coolers under the table, and then I set up everything that we use daily. It works for us!



They were doing their "homework" as they call it. Calista is 6 and is so smart. She's going into grade 1 and goes to a French Immersion school. She must be reading at a grade 2 or 3 level - she read the baby multiple stories while we were camping.


After a grumpy Colby went to bed the first night, the rest of us went on an expedition. Nana, Papa, Calista, Ben (Dad), Uncle Aaron, and I went in search of bottles and cans. Yes, they are a recycling crazed family. Not only does this clean up the environment, but they also use the money from returning it all towards their college fund.





When we got back, I put my VERY swollen feet up for some R & R. My family took good care of me while we were away, and I kind of liked it.


The next morning, it was time for some fun on wheels! Uncle Aaron took Colby on the dirt bike while my cousin took Calista.




After some dirty fun on the 2 dirt bikes, trike, and quad, it was time for some play in the river. Bahar forgot Calista's bathing suit, but she made due with a tank and shorts. Ben loves camping and the outdoors, and he claims to be a red neck (even though we grew up in East Van). He got to work on trying to pan for gold. :)

 





I had a lot of time to read and hang out with my family, especially the women who couldn't get enough of talking babies. I also really connected with Calista again. Colby is obsessed with Uncle Aaron, but I was glad that Calista and I got time together to hang out. She was even excited to see me the next weekend! She even painted something for the baby, which I'll be posting separately.


I hope that we can make a tradition of doing family camping trips. Other than a bad spill Aaron took on the dirt bike which resulted in a pretty painful leg burn, he really enjoyed himself. He loves the kids, my cousin and his wife, and my Auntie Robin and Uncle Ted. He's not close with his own family so it's nice that he's become part of my family. He's even hung out with them since then on his own - seeing Planes with all them while I went home to sleep. I truly hope that our kids can grow up with them and they can all be close cousins!

No comments:

Post a Comment