Monday, May 24, 2010

Asian Soup

Needless to say, I try to watch my food intake because I've always struggled with my weight. I remember being in grade 4 and taking rice cakes to school because a kid called me fat, and I realized that he wasn't just doing it to be mean - I was a little chubby. Anyways, I'm always looking for filling foods that are low in fat and calories, but still satisfying.

Soup is a great meal if you're watching your calories - it is filling, warm, and can be packed with flavor, vegetables, and protein, all in one bowl!

I made up this recipe one night, and Mr. A and I absolutely loved it...

Asian Wonton Soup
Recipe:
1 Carton Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 sliced onion
Sliced carrots
Broccoli florets
Bok Choy
To top:
Cilantro
Bean Sprouts
Options:
Wontons, wonton skins, or dumplings
Noodles
Sliced Chicken
Cooked Shrimp
Tofu - fried or puffed
Fry the onions in a large pot until translucent. Add crushed garlic and grated ginger. (Note: I
keep my ginger in the freezer. It grates finer and more easily, and will keep forever)
Stir until fragrant, then add cumin. Add the broth of your choice, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, and sugar, and bring to a simmer. Add carrots, broccoli, and bok choy. You can add any vegetable you want, however, as it is a very adaptable recipe.
Once the vegetables are tender, add the protein of your choice as well as any dumplings you want. As I'm a vegetarian, I like just wonton skins and maybe some tofu that has been fried so it has some texture. This also keeps it low fat. But any protein and any type of starch or dumplings you would like to add is fine - make it your own.
To serve the soup, add some toppings - I like beansprouts and sprigs of cilantro. Top it off with another small splash of soy and sesame oil to taste.

It is low in fat, high in taste, and just plain warm and satisfying after a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment