Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My In-Laws

To be honest here, before I entered this significant relationship with Aaron, I had never really had a relationship with my boyfriends parents, so I didn't know how I'd feel about having a new family to adapt to when I got married. But folks - I'm the luckiest girl in the world! Not only do I have an amazing family (my mom is my best friend, my dad is my buddy, my brother and I are very close and trusting of one another, and I have a great relationship with my aunts, my uncle, and my cousins), but now I get a whole new set of family members, and I L.O.V.E. them!

My future mother-in-law is a very strong, loving, caring, and wonderful woman. She never hesitates to compliment people. She is honest and straight-forward, but never mean. She always says I love you, which I'm not really used to in my family. We all show our love through our actions, but rarely through the 3 Little Words. She gives the best hugs. She's thoughful. She's warm. And best of all, she really treats me like her daughter.

My future father-in-law is a tough guy - a hunter, a shooter, a cabinet-builder who worked with his hands his whole life. But at the same time, he too says I love you often and meaningfully. He is charming, he is funny, he loves his tiny Chihuahua, and as much as he talks about hunting, he really has a passion for photographing nature and wildlife. He is thankful for his family, and he never ceases to amaze me with his cooking!

Both of these wonderful people have taken me into their family like I was born into it. They tell people that I'm not their daughter-in-law (to be) but their daughter. They've made me tear up a time or two with their emotional tributes to me - telling me that they loved me, appreciated me, and were thankful that I was in their lives. When Grandma passed away, I was there to support them, and wouldn't have had it any other way, and in some way, it brought us all closer together.

I'm really very relieved to be entering a family full of love. They are not without their troubles, just like any family, and they are not perfect, just like all of us, but I am so proud to be entering this family and making them my own. And they will also make wonderful grandparents some day to our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment