Friday, December 20, 2013

Where Boys Become Men...

My husband and I have both always wanted our own rooms to call our own away from the main areas, so when we bought our house, Aaron chose a room he dubbed (as most do) his man cave. I took the smaller room. He didn't mind the blue that was already in his "man cave" which had been a boys room previously, but I went all out on my office with teal walls, girly white accents, and memories of our recent wedding all over the room.

Soon after moving in, I became a Scentsy consultant and that office became more of a Scentsy home base for me. I didn't spend a lot of time in there, however, because I just didn't need to. I thought I'd be in there all the time doing crafts, working on projects, wrapping presents, and working on my business. But life always seemed to get in the way. However, my dear husband loved his "man cave". He had hung his treasured framed posters on the walls, decorated the shelves and his desk with his favorite things, and best of all, hung his shadow box full of the die-cast comic book figurines I'd been buying him over the years.

In February 2013 when we decided we wanted to start thinking about babies, we knew that we'd be giving up one of our offices to become a nursery. We'd always said it would be the "man cave" because it's slightly larger. In all honesty, though, by the time we got pregnant and started seriously talking nurseries, my husband started changing his mind about the office transition. To him, it meant the end of his xbox marathons, the finale of his man time, the completion of his days as a comic-book reading, game playing, crotch scratching, candy eating man with no worries in the world. He tried to insist that the baby didn't need a big room. He tried to convince me that we needed more room for our offices. He tried to turn me on to the idea that the baby would be better off in my freshly-painted office. He tried - unsuccessfully.

Soon, my lovely husband started the process of packing up his favorite things, and eventually, in late November, we made the official switch and combined offices to my bright teal room. I gave him my closet for his gaming system, moved the couch to give him a big place to rest, and his computer died just as he was about to set it up, so I gave him my little netbook to download his comics on to. He seems happy enough, although it's no where near a man cave.

I'm so proud of him for taking this change like a man. He knew in his heart that the baby deserved the best possible space to grow in. And on top of it, we have big plans for the garage to turn it into half man-cave, half play space.

The end of November and the start of December was all about making the nursery a wonderful place for baby to lay it's head... and in my next post, I'll reveal the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment