Monday, December 16, 2013

This is the most wonderful time of the year...

One of the things I love about winter is how jolly people become. I consider winter to fall on November 1st and continue until at least the end of January. November is my anniversary with my husband and my birthday, December is my mom's birthday, Christmas, and winter in general is all of the other wonderful things that associate with these big moments.

This year, things are different than any other year. For one, we're in our home and settled in. We had moved in last December 1st, but we were still a little bit in disarray and hadn't done much to fix up our home yet. This year, our kitchen is complete, the house is almost fully painted, and we feel somewhat content. But of course, the big change is that we're pregnant with our first child. I remember the day that my family first came over to see our place and help us paint - the day we got our keys. I remember my aunt saying that she could just see our kids walking down the stairs on Christmas morning holding hands and gazing at the tree. It makes me cry actually to think about it because as far away as it seemed at the time, I could see it too. On Christmas morning when I was a kid, my dad would stay in bed with us and make my brother and I wait until my mom had turned on the tree and the Christmas music and made coffee, tea, and cinnamon toast. And then, the three of us would walk down the stairs together to see what Santa had delivered as my mom took our pictures of our pure joy! I remember that moment very clearly, and the photos are precious and full of childhood amazement and glory. And to think that someday our children, mine and Aaron's, will have the same memories is very special to me. So this year, just over a year later, we are so excited to be starting our own family.

We've had our marathon shopping day, decorated our home, put our special ornaments on our tree that we've been collecting for our entire relationship including a new one for our new family, and put on Christmas music while we clean. Things are a bit tough this year because finances aren't as accessible and I'm much larger and not quite as mobile, but I've wanted to continue some of our regular traditions. We're trying to watch all of our Christmas movies, visit with friends including my annual Christmas get-together with Jay (and this year Charlotte as well), bake, sing carols together while we cook dinner, and wear our funny Christmas shirts.




I'm hoping that next year we can start some additional Christmas traditions, like reading the baby The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve, leaving cookies and milk out for Santa, going shopping FOR the baby, and have our whole family over for Christmas dinner. Family is so important to us, and I want to emphasize it even more when the baby is here. Although my few close friends mean the world to me, it is vital that this child remembers that family will always be more important than the toys you get or the clothes you wear. Family will support you and love you whereas the newest gadget never will.

I can't wait to start all new traditions, have new experiences, and create new memories with our little family of 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment